Book a video call with Design Disciplin founder Dr. Mehmet Aydın Baytaş for private consulting and advance on your challenges.
The Design Disciplin Advisory is a personal consulting service.
In an intensive video call, I offer arcane expertise based on 10+ years of academic and commercial work, at your service. You make progress on your projects spanning design, innovation, academia, research, strategy.
The value you get from the Design Disciplin Advisory is unique, because I have lived in multiple worlds: academia, startups, freelancing, corporate innovation, agencies, design studios... My own work and conversations with insiders has illuminated many different paths for creative work and innovation.
If you are starting out your career, I will share with you my experiences and insights comparing the many paths you could walk. You will have the "insider information" you need to make great career decisions.
If you are a seasoned expert, I will offer visions from worlds of expertise other than yours, yet spoken in your language and relevant to your path. You will gain a broad perspective that translates to great leverage.
Examples of what people have used the Advisory service for:
- Students receive actionable advice on how to navigate the academic world and capture opportunities – including how to choose programs, gain admittance and scholarships, make the best use of their time in school, and succeed during and after education...
- Executives consult to formulate strategy based on the latest knowledge in design and computer science – including our latest work on interactive robotics, blockchain/web3 applications, AR/VR/metaverse, and generative AI tools.
- Entrepreneurs present their ideas for red-teaming based on multi-disciplinary expertise including design, engineering, economics, as well as to extend their networks toward design and innovation experts in our community.
- Professors and research managers come to discuss strategies for developing research directions and projects towards funding.
- Design researchers come for advice on methodology, writing, and how to extend the reach of their work.
- Freelancers come looking for ideas on how to capitalize on upcoming trends in design and technology.
We can focus on current and concrete projects, review and refine work in progress, or just exchange ideas to get unstuck. I also facilitate purposeful connections between advisees and other members of the Design Disciplin community, as well as my personal network.
These calls are an extension of my experience in supervising and collaborating with brilliant graduate students. Through these calls I'm very happy to meet new people, discover new topics, and solve new problems.
The Design Disciplin Advisory is a personal service. For business inquiries, visit WEATHERLIGHT.
Meet Mehmet Aydın Baytaş
As a child I loved science and technology. As a youth I found my calling in art and design. As an adult I found answers in economics and philosophy.
I have worn many hats as a multi-disciplinary student, designer, engineer, researcher, writer, strategist, and creative producer.
Highlights from my past experiences include:
- I have taught UI design, UX design, interaction design and related topics to more than 500 university students at both undergraduate and graduate levels.
- I have coordinated the creation and operation of a university research center with 20+ staff including 4 faculty, focusing on creative work, founded upon a multi-million dollar industry grant.
- I have authored research grants which collectively received more than $4M from state, non-profit, and corporate benefactors in Turkey and Sweden.
- I have co-authored more than 30 research publications (including Best Paper and Honorable Mention award-winners) on topics at intersections of design and computer science, including: interactive drones and robotics, physical and tangible computing, AR/VR, design philosophy and methodology, machine learning and artificial intelligence, and blockchain applications.
- I have advised successful startups on R&D strategy and innovation management, guiding pivots which lead to exponential growth.
- I maintained an exceptional track record as a student in the highly competitive Turkish education system, ranked top-10 in national standardized exams, and received top-tier scholarships throughout all levels of higher education – including a full Marie Skłodowska-Curie PhD fellowship – making my living as a "professional student" for many years.
- I have completed degrees in mechanical engineering, economics, and design; certification as a yoga teacher, Design Thinking practitioner, and machine learning engineer; and courses on financial markets, venture capital, product management, robotics, and innovation management.
- I have visited universities and research facilities in more than 10 countries to examine best practices for research, innovation, and education.
If you want to learn more about me, visit my personal portfolio website, and reach out on Twitter and LinkedIn.
Frequently asked questions
How do we prepare?
You can include links to any documents you'd like me to read as you book the meeting. You can send anything you are working on, as well as any articles or resources that give us common ground.
I will reserve around one hour to review this material before our call. So, if you send a small amount of material, I will read carefully. If you send a large amount of material, I might have to skim.
What language will we speak?
I speak English and Turkish.
Why is it 90 minutes?
60 minutes is too little. The topics and challenges in these calls are very interesting and sophisticated, and so are the people who participate. We need more than an hour to get to know each other and the topics at hand, in order to arrive at great actionable results.
More than 90 minutes is too much. Humans should not be sitting in front of a computer for so long. If we need more time, I'm happy to offer another session or discuss bespoke collaborations.
Why are you charging this price?
In the past, I have offered pro bono mentorship sessions. I developed this service when I started getting more requests than I could handle. Furthermore I find that an economic commitment, albeit small, increases attention and energy in the session.
The going rate for my level of expertise is more than $100 per hour. The clients who afford this are companies, institutions, and investors. For example, when I'm mentoring students in 1-on-1 sessions during a teaching engagement, I typically bill more than $100 per hour to the school.
I set a lower price for this service in order to meet a diverse audience including students, to discover new topics, and to solve new problems. I'm happy to be able to offer a few hours every week to serve the Design Disciplin community at a reduced rate.
With the vast majority of my clients, we formulate clear paths towards capturing value that far exceeds this cost. For example, with students we discuss income and scholarship strategies, and with researchers we work on grants. You will also gain insights and connections (e.g. introductions to my personal network) that simply cannot be bought elsewhere.
Where will the call happen?
On Zoom. You will receive a link to my personal Zoom room will be shared when you book the call.
Can I record the call?
Absolutely. It's recommended. This way you don't have to focus on note-taking.
What if I'm not happy with the call?
You will receive a full refund, no question asked.
For professional inquiries, visit WEATHERLIGHT.